Moll (Cobb’s ghost)
1. weakness/need – has lost the ability to recognize reality, after 50 years in limbo
1A. problem – Cobb planted an idea in her subconscious that she is not in her reality
2. desire – wants to be in her reality, even if it means killing herself and Cobb
3. opponent – Cobb
4. plan – to force Cobb into a joint suicide, by taking everything in this life away from him
5. battle – on the ledge, she and Cobb argue about which reality is real
6. self-revelation – none
7. new equilibrium – suicide
1. weakness/need – needs to let go of the guilt he carries over planting the thought in Moll’s subconscious that she was not in her reality
1A. problem – cannot return to the States to see his kids
2. desire – to see his kids
3. opponent – Moll
4. plan – to complete a job for Seido, so he can go home to his kids
5. battle – battles his guilt and keeps him with her while she sabotages all his jobs
6. self-revelation – realizes that he lost his wife in limbo and that his projection of her will never come to close to the reality of the person she was
7. new equilibrium – he choses the correct reality and is re-united with his kids
1. weakness/need – needs to accept corporate competition
1A. problem –
2. desire – wants the heir of a major corporation to dissolve his father’s empire
3. opponent – Fischer
4. plan – promises Cobb a way back home if he plants the thought in Fischer’s head
5. battle –
6. self-revelation – none
7. new equilibrium –
Nash (Architect #1)
1. weakness/need – needs to grow a spine
1A. problem – he screwed up the carpet so Seido and Cobol Engineering come after him
2. desire – to save his life
3. opponent – Cobb
4. plan – sell the team out to Seido and save himself
5. battle – Seido hands him over to Cobb, who decides not to kill him
6. self-revelation – none
7. new equilibrium – handed over to Cobol Engineering
Ariadne (newbie architect – we learn about the ghost – Moll – and the story world through her eyes and ears)
1. weakness/need – needs to accept that she’s a dream-world architect
1A. problem –
2. desire – wants to figure out what Cobb is hiding because it endangers the whole team
3. opponent – Cobb
4. plan – to sneak around Cobb’s subconscious and travel with him, keeping Moll away
5. battle – ?
6. self-revelation – (she is an architect ?)
7. new equilibrium – hatches the master plan which frees everyone
Maurice Fischer (Sr.)
1. weakness/need – needs to pay attention to his son
1A. problem –
2. desire – wants to build an empire
3. opponent – death
4. plan – to leave his empire to his son
5. battle – battles disease/death
6. self-revelation – he spent more time building his empire than he did with his son
7. new equilibrium – tells his son he’s disappointed that he tried to be like him
Robert Fischer (Jr.)
1. weakness/need – needs to realize his father loved him
1A. problem –
2. desire – to reconcile with his father
3. opponent – dad
4. plan – to talk to his dad, before he dies
5. battle – to understand what his dad was trying to communicate to him (opening the safe in his dad’s office)
6. self-revelation – his father wanted him to be his own person
7. new equilibrium – he (probably) decides to dismantle the company
Peter Browning (Fischer Sr’s right hand man; Fischer Jr’s godfather)
Arthur (Cobb’s right hand man and the person who explains situations to newbie)
Miles – Cobb’s teacher and father-in-law (?)
two kids, James and Phillipa
Story World Rules:
– if the architect dies, the dream world collapses
– if you die in a dream, you awaken
– physical pain in a dream results in physical pain in the real world
– falling in the real world causes you to awaken
– in a dream, time is slower
– military developed dream sharing
– architects/dreamers design the dream
– subject’s mind populates the world
– you can talk to the people in the world to extract info from the subject’s subconscious
– the architect can build a vault/jail and steal a valuable item, thereby extracting it
– the more you change things, the quicker the projections converge on the one who’s foreign
– never re-create from memory. always imagine new places because you lose grasp on what’s real and what’s a dream
– you can’t wake up from within a dream unless you die
– need a totem so you know you’re not in someone else’s dream
– paradoxical architecture – closed loops – Penrose steps – infinite stair case – the better the maze, the longer they have before the projections catch them
– nested dreams are possible – but sometimes require powerful sedative
– dream sharing can become an addiction especially with sedatives because after a while it becomes the only way they can dream
– the dream can become a reality
– only the architect should know the layout so others’ projections don’t sabotage the dream
– inception will work but only if the thought is at its most basic (i.e. relationship with the father)
– if you suggest a thought on one level, a projection can echo that thought on another level, making the idea appear self generated
– an extractor can train your subconscious to protect itself and attack foreign entities using trained, militarized projections
– if heavily sedated, when you die, you drop into limo, unconstructed dream space – raw infinite subconscious
– drawing attention to the strangeness of the dream makes the subconscious look for the dreamer/architect
– watching the projections will tell you if the subject is starting to suspect the people the way you want him to
– to shoot/kill a projection does not destroy parts of the mind
Plan #1 (positive emotion and catharsis trump negative emotion)
– level 1 – I will not follow in my father’s footsteps
– level 2 – I will create something for myself
– level 3 – My father doesn’t want me to be him
Problem: Seido is alive but has been fatally shot
Revelation: Fischer’s been trained and his projections are militarized
Problem: if they die, they drop into limbo for decades.
Revelation: If they don’t move forward, they’ll likely die at the hands of the projections, dropping them into limbo. Therefore, the only way forwards is downwards.
Improvisation: Due to militarized projections, the drop comes much sooner than anticipated.
1. level 2 – shift animosity from father to godfather; exposing his godfather’s treatment
2. Mr. Charles – security will already be out to get them – gambit designed to turn Fischer against his own subconscious, which involves telling the mark he’s dreaming and involves attracting a lot of attention to the team; lovely lady used as distraction
Problem: The militarized projections are actively chasing Arthur, the dreamer.
Problem: The kick comes way too soon, they miss it, and the world loses gravity.
Problem: There’s no real way to drop the team without gravity.
Improvisation: Due to loss of gravity, Arthur ties team together and moves them to the elevator, which he blows up, creating a synchronized kick with the world above.
Tell Fischer he needs to enter Browning’s subconscious, so he’ll willingly be a part of the team, but they really enter his subconscious.
Problem: The kick comes way too soon and they miss it.
Improvisation: They need to ride the second kick, when the van hits the water.
Problem: They need to get to the compound faster, so Ariadne tells them about going through the air duct shortcut, but Moll learns about this.
Problem: Moll kills Fischer, suspending him in limbo.
Revelation: Seido will never make it and will be suspended in limbo.
Improvisation: Plan 4 (by Ariadne)
Location: Limbo/shore of the subconscious
Follow Fischer into limbo, find him. Once the music starts, Eames will revive him and Ariadne and Cobb will give him his own kick down below. When Fischer is revived on level 3, he must make it into the strongroom and when he finally has his catharsis, that is when Eames will detonate the charges, synchronizing with the master kick. If Ariadne and Cobb are not back in time, Eames will execute the plan with or without them.
Location: Limbo/shore of the subconscious
Cobb needs to find Seido in order to save Seido and to get him to honor the agreement between them.
0:00 ending scene between Cobb and Seido
2:40 audition/extraction – ends with “what’s going on up there?”
4:20 up one dream level
5:05 back to extraction
5:30 intro to ghost
8:00 gets to safe; Moll and Seido have a gun on Cobb and Arthur
8:30 “We are actually asleep”
9:00 Moll shoots Arthur in the foot – reviewing rules of dream
9:05 Cobb kills Arthur; dream collapses as we go back and forth between dream levels
11:30 everyone goes up one dream level completely
12:30 up another dream level to train;, then back down to apt.
14:00 revelation – we’re still dreaming
14:30 revelation – ID of the dreamer; dreamer gets attacked
14:50 everyone comes up to train level = reality
15:50 intro to totem
16:20 kids on phone
17:50 talk about Moll with Arthur
18:27 can’t go to States
18:33 Nash and Seido in helicopter
20:00 Cobb choses to leave
20:20 If Cobb does this job, he gets to go to America and see his kids
20:50 definition of the next job
21:20 “An old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone.:
21:30 deal is made
21:50 Cob has done it before
23:00 meet Cobb’s mentor and father-in-law, Miles
24:00 Cobb needs someone to design levels and teach them to the dreamers
24:05 Moll won’t let him design
25:00 intro to Ariadne
26:00 inclusion of Ariadne; explanation of dream worlds
27:30 “We’re dreaming?” — cool things happen
28:17 wake up to real world
28:30 military, architects, time diff
29:00 Ariadne architects a dream; define dreamer and subject, vault and jail
29:50 Ariadne changes physics of the dream
30:45 they walk on walls
31:00 Cobb’s subconscious starts to sense Ariadne and he warns her they will attack her
31:20 Ariadne doesn’t listen and continues to build
32:50 “Never re-create places from your memory”
33:00 Ariadne knows Cobb can’t dream
33:20 Moll kills Ariadne and she wakes up
33:30 “There was still time on the clock and you can’t wake up from within a dream unless you die.”
33:50 intro to Mrs. Cobb and definition of a totem
34:30 Ariadne refuses the job because she sees Cobb’s psychological problems
34:40 “When Ariadne comes back…have her build mazes”
34:45 Cobb is going to Mumbasa, Cobol’s backyard, to see Eames, a forger
35:00 Mumbasa – Eams believes in inception and doesn’t like Arthur; he recommends they start with the relationship with the father and a recommends a chemist, Yusef.
37:00 chase scene with Cobol
39:15 Seido shows up with a car to “protect [his] investments”
39:40 Ariadne shows up to Arthur — she couldn’t stay away
39:55 Arthur teaches Ariadne in a dream about different architectures and stairways
41:00 In dream, Arthur reveals that Moll died.
41:25 In Yusef’s lab, they assess him as a chemist and ask him to go into the field because they need him there to create more chemicals.
41:40 “A dream within a dream. Two levels”; “three.”
42:00 Seido announces that he’s joining the team
42:30 visit to the world of the addicts and test the compound
43:45 Moll is lying on a train track
43:55 Cobb wakes up
44:10 Cobb has visions of Moll and uses totem
44:30 Seido introduces Robert and Maurice Fischer
45:30 Eames requests access to Browning – Sr.’s right hand man and Jr.’s godfather
45:45 Eames is at Fischer’s company with Browning
46:10 Maurice and Robert are in the office with Browning, who wants a power of attorney
47:20 Eames reports on his study and practices his impersonation of Browning
48:00 Ariadne works on her totem and runs into Cobb, who is running experiments
48:40 Revelation on Moll’s totem
49:00 Ariadne shows Cobb the mazes, but he says that’s not safe because of Moll
50:00 Cobb reveals that they think he killed Moll
50:05 translate business strategy into emotional concept and discuss sedative (with inner ear function)
51:50 Ariadne looks on as Yusef and Cobb experiment
52:00 Compounded time limits defined
52:30 Intro to a kick — synchronize a kick that can penetrate all 3 levels using musical countdown
53:20 Looking at Fischer’s scedule to determine plan execution time — Sydney to LA on 747 that Seido owns
54:10 Ariadne goes into Cobb’s dream
54:40 In Cobb’s dream – elevator — she sees Cobb and Moll
55:30 Moll sees Ariadne and tries to attack her; Cobb escorts Ariadne on the elevator
56:39 revelation: Cobb is trying to keep Moll alive
57:00 Cobb takes Ariadne to his home to the moment he had to leave his kids
58:15 “If I’m ever gonna see their faces again, I’ve got to get back home to the real world.”
58:20 Ariadne runs onto elevator and sees a freight train
58:30 Ariadne gets to basement and sees vandalized hotel room
59:00 Moll harasses Ariadne, who recites train monologue
1:00:00 Moll goes nuts and Cobb promises to come back for her
1:00:30 Maurice Fischer died and Robert should accompany the body; Ariadne asks to come along because she knows about Moll; Cobb agrees even though he promised Miles otherwise.
1:01:20 “If I get on this plane and you don’t honor our agreement, when we land I go to jail for the rest of my life.”
1:01:40 They all get on the plane, including Fischer
1:02:00 Eames steals Fischer’s passport
1:02:30 Cobb returns Fischer’s passport
1:03:00 Cobb spikes Fischer’s water
1:03:30 Fischer is unconscious; they start the op
1:04:00 First level dream — the city — it’s raining — Yusef is the dreamer
1:04:40 They steal a cab
1:05 They pick up Fischer and hold him at gunpoint
1:05:20 Cobb and Yusef pick up Ariadne; a freight train hits them
1:05:40 Fischer gives them his wallet; someone shoots a dart at Eames; trained militia attack the cab
1:06:00 Cobb recognizes the train
1:06:10 Eames, Arthur, and Seido fight back
1:07:10 Seido’s been shot in the chest
1:07:24 The two cars hide out in a garage
1:07:30 Put Fischer in the backroom; they assess Seido
1:07:40 Argue about freight train and why military didn’t show up in research
1:08:20 Eames tries to shoot Seido — revelation that if they die, they fall into limbo
1:08:40 Define limbo; reveal that Cobb has been trapped in limbo before
1:09:00 You can only escape after sedation has worn off — decades
1:09:30 Cobb and Yusef knew but Cobb wanted to get back to his kids, so he bribed Yusef
1:10:00 They refuse to work — After a week, each of them will be killed so they can only move forward with the plan
1:10:30 Try to convince Fischer he’s kidnapped and they need the combination to his father’s safe
1:11:00 Yusef finds Fischer’s childhood photo with the pinwheel
1:11:30 Eames has an hour, instead of all night since Seido is shot in the chest; he screams as Browning
1:11:40 They bring in fake Browning (Eames) and cuff him to the sink; he says he’s been tortured for the combination.
1:13:10 Seudo’s in a lot of pain; down in the lower levels the pain will be less intense; if he dies he’ll become an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone.
1:14:00 Browning says Fischer’s dad had an alternate will that will destroy the inheritance but no one knows why he wrote it
1:15:25 Fischer says he heard his father say “disappointed”
1:15:30 Ariadne knows Cobb brought in the freight train; Moll is bursting through his subconscious; as they go deeper into Fischer, they’re also going deeper into Cobb.
1:16:00 Cobb and Moll were exploring nested reams but when they got to limbo, they lost sight of what was real; they built their own world for 50 years.
1:17:00 Moll had locked something away and limbo became her reality; when they got back, she was obsessed with the notion that they needed to kill themselves to get back home
1:19:00 On their anniversary she ransacked the room, sat out by the ledge — she’d already filed a letter to their lawyer saying she was afraid for her life.
1:21:15 She had herself declared sane by 3 different psychiatrists
1:22:00 Ariadne says that Cobb’s guilt defines her but he is not responsible for the idea that destroyed her
1:22:15 Militarized projections have found them
1:22:20 They get Fischer to repeat the 1st 6 digits to come into his mind (528491), but claim it doesn’t work.
1:22:50 They take Fischer and Browning (Eames) in the van with their heads covered; they drug Fischer so that he’s unconscious.
1:23:00 The boy’s issues with his father are worse than they realized; the stronger the issues, the stronger the catharsis.
1:24:00 Eames grabs a bigger weapon and shoots them.
1:24:20 Plan to shoot the animosity from father to godfather — thereby exposing his motives
1:24:30 His security will get worse as they get deeper
1:24:40 Argument over going with Mr. Charles; they’ve done it before but the subject realized he was dreaming and his subconscious tore them to pieces.
1:25:00 Eames volunteers to become a lovely lady to distract Fischer.
1:25:20 Mild car chase in the rain.
1:25:15 “don’t jump too soon.” “i’ll play the music to let you know it’s coming. the rest is on you.”
1:25:20 They all go under except Yusef, who’s driving — he’s the architect of this dream.
1:25:30 Enter dream level #2; lovely lady and Fischer at the bar.
1:25:40 Mr. Charles shows up and introduces himself as Rod Greene from Marketing; Lovely lady leaves.
1:26:00 Revelation: phone # is same as safe combo; Fischer’s wallet is missing.
1:26:30 Intro to Mr. Charles (via Arthur and Ariadne)
1:27:00 Revelation: Lovely lady is Eames and he has Fischer’s wallet and pinwheel photo; gives wallet to Seido and tells him security will be looking for it.
1:27:05 “Turbulence on plane?” – Much closer. It’s Yusef’s driving.” – see Yusef driving.
1:27:10 Turbulence in the current dream (at bar); Mr. Charles introduces himself and says he will protect Fischer against extractors.
1:27:35 Security follows Seido; Seido dumps the wallet.
1:28:45 Yusef’s driving
1:28:50 Cobb tells Fischer the weather is too weird to be real.
1:29:00 Arthur explains Mr. Charles to Ariadne
1:29:25 Yusef’s driving
1:29:30 Fischer accepts that he’s in a dream
1:31:00 Cobb shoots security and tells Fischer they’re abductors; Fischer tries to shoot himself but Cobb tells him he’s too sedated to wake up.
1:32:00 Arthur and Ariadne go into room# 491 which is directly below room # 528; he sets the charges.
1:32:17 Cobb and Fischer realize he’s been kidnapped; Fischer remembers 52?; Cobb openly tells his team to meet him on the 5th floor.
1:33:30 Arthur explains the kick to Ariadne; if its’s too soon they won’t get pulled out, if it’s too late they won’t drop because the van will be in free fall.
1:34:00 Fischer, Cobb, Ariadne, and Arthur storm into room# 528 and find the dream device.
1:34:40 Seido and Eames follow Fischer’s projection of Browning.
1:35:10 Browning walks into hotel room and confesses to corporate espionage. (red herring)
1:36:30 Seido and Eames show up; Cobb convinces Fischer to go into Browning’s subconscious.
1:36:50 They explain to Ariadne that they’re really going into Fischer’s subconscious.
1:37:10 Eames reminds Arthur that security will hunt him down; Cobb expects Moll to be down there.
1:37:30 3rd level dream — snow, skis, complex
1:38:00 Montage of security and dreamer on 1st and 2nd levels where van flips and 2nd dream loses gravity.
1:40:40 Eames is the dreamer/architect and should draw security away from the complex; Cobb cannot guide Fischer because if he knows the route everything could be compromised; Seido accompanies Fischer.
1:42:00 1st level – Yusef and van are on bridge and being followed as bridge begins to rise; montage between security on 1st and 3rd levels.
1:42:40 Yusef is under fire and plays music for Arthur.
1:43:00 2nd level – Arthur hears music and panics because it’s too soon.
1:43:10 3rd level: They hear the music and calculate how much time each level has.
1:44:30 Cobb forces Ariadne to reveal any shortcuts; there’s an air duct system that can cut through the maze.
1:44:40 Ariadne explains air duct system to Seido.
1:45:00 Montage of all levels battling security.
1:45:30 Yusef makes the jump – all levels feel it.
1:46:45 “We finish the job before the next kick…when the van hits the water”; montage
1:47:00 “How do I drop you without gravity?”
1:47:15 Cob re-calculates remaining time on each level.
1:48:00 Security heads toward Cobb and Ariadne – like they know something; Eames buys them more time.
1:49:40 Montage: Arthur removes charges from 4th floor room.
1:50:00 MontageL Cobb shoots projections while Arthur ties his team together, highlighting Seido’s physical condition.
1:51:20 Montage: 3rd level – Eames blows up projections with detonator.
1:52:00 Montage: Fischer gets into the compound; Moll comes out of the air duct.
1:52:10 Ariadne and Cobb argue about what is real.
1:52:20 Moll shoots Fischer; Cobb shoots Moll.
1:52:25 Montage: Eames; Arthur moves everyone to the elevator.
1:53:20 Cobb reveals Fischer’s mind is trapped in limbo and there’s no reason to revive him.
1:53:45 Ariadne recommends following Fischer into limbo and comes up with the final plan.
1:54:20 Revelation: Seido will never make it.
1:55:00 Ariadne and Cobb show up in limbo.
1:56:20 Seido protects Fischer while Eames sets the charges.
1:56:40 Cobb leads Ariadne on a walk through limbo.
1:57:30 Arthur experiments with elevator shaft and charges in zero-gravity.
1:58:00 Cobb follows projections of his kids and tours/leads Ariadne to Moll.
1:58:40 Montage: Eames and Arthur fighting projections and rigging the elevator.
1:59:00 Cobb and Ariadne decide they have to improvise a kick; Cobb starts to confess.
1:59:30 Eames battles projections.
2:00:00 They find Moll, who claims there are too many similarities between Cobb’s world and the world of a dreamer and he can easily choose to be with her.
2:00:50 Montage: Eames/Arthur/Yusef.
2:01:50 Moll and Cobb argue over where he will see the children’s faces.
2:01:40 Montage: Eames sets charges.
2:02:00 Moll calls the kids.
2:02:40 Cobb confesses to Moll that he feels guilty for planting the idea that her world wasn’t real (Ariadne is also present).
2:04:30 FB: Cobb and Moll lie down on a train track, but even after she came back to reality she continued to believe her world wasn’t real.
2:06:10 Seido throws a grenade, then dies.
2:06:30 Arthur plays music for Eames, signaling a kick.
2:06:40 Eames hears music and starts the defibrillator.
2:06:50 Ariadne sees lightning; Cobb agrees to stay in limbo in exchange for Fischer.
2:07:10 Moll reveals Fischer’s location.
2:07:20 Montage; Ariadne confirms Fischer’s alive.
2:07:40 Montage; Cobb reveals he’s staying to find Seido who’s dead by now.
2:08:00 Cobb admits that the memory of his wife isn’t real.
2:08:30 Moll stabs Cobb; Ariadne shoots Moll and drops Fischer.
2:08:40 Fischer is revived on the 3rd level.
2:08:45 Ariadne tries to shoot Cobb, but he stops her.
2:08:50 Eames points Fischer toward the strongroom.
2:08:52 Montage: van, elevator, strongroom.
2:09:20 Fischer enters the strongroom.
2:10:00 Reveal: Fischer’s dad tells him that he was disappointed that he tried to emulate his father.
2:10:30 Fischer starts to access the safe.
2:!0:40 Montage: van about to hit the water.
2:10:50 Fischer sees the will, then sees the pinwheel; dad dies.
2:11:10 Eames detonates compound.
2:11:25 Arthur: Elevator rises… (audience expects a drop)
2:11:35 All worlds fall apart; Fischer holds dad; Cobb holds Moll and tells Ariadne to ride the kick up.
2:12:00 Ariadne reminds Cobb to find Seido and bring him back.
2:12:10 Massive levels of explosion — through the character of Ariadne.
2:12:35 Van hits water.
2:12:50 Cobb tells Moll they already grew old together; Moll dies.
2:14:00 2nd level — Fischer saves himself and fake Browning (Eames) from drowning in the water.
2:14:30 Everyone escapes from the van except for Cobb (and Seido)
2:14:50 Fischer tells Browning (Eames) he’s decided to be his own man.
2:15:10 Ariadne tells Arthur that Cobb stayed to bring back Seido; Arthur says he’ll lose himself, but Ariadne says he’ll succeed.
2:15:30 Seido’s projections find Cobb and bring him to him.
2:15:45 Seido says he’s waiting for someone to kill him.
2:16:00 “Someone…from a half remembered dream…Filled with regret. Waiting to die alone.:
2:17:00 Cobb convinces Seido to come back so they can be young men together again.
2:17:17 Seido reaches for his gun.
2:17:18 Cobb wakes up on the plane.
2:17:40 Flight attendant talks to Cobb and Fischer.
2:17:50 Everyone sits in disbelief.
2:18:00 Cobb stares at Seido.
2:18:20 Seido makes his phone call.
2:18:35 Cobb goes through LAX w/o a hitch.
2:19:40 Miles picks up Cobb at LAX.
2:19:50 Cobb goes home and spins the top (totem).
2:20:20 The kids turn their faces and hug their dad.
2:20:35 The top spins and spins…